Register for NAMI Washington Lobby Day!
Are you interested in attending NAMI Day at the State Capitol?
Make Your Voice Heard! Join us for NAMI Lobby Day, Monday February 19, 2018!
Join NAMI Washington members from across the state for our annual lobby day in Olympia at the State Capitol Building! NAMI members and supporters are the most effective people to educate legislators about mental illness and the need to change our current “mental illness” system to a “mental health” system. Our lobby day will include a morning breakfast and issues update and advocacy skills training. We will send you off to your legislative appointments with lunch in hand as you depart for the Capitol Campus.
You must pre-register to attend this event. Learn more and register HERE
Date: February 19, 2018
Location: Temple Beth Hatifloh, 201 8th Ave SE, Olympia WA
Registration: Please click here to register for lobby day so that we can have an accurate head count of our advocates.
Schedule for NAMI Washington Lobby Day 2018
8:30 – 9:00 AM
- Arrival and continental breakfast
9:00 – 10:30 AM
- Welcome from Rep. Roger Goodman
- NAMI’s 2018 Legislative Priorities Briefing
- Citizen Advocacy – Tips for Telling Your Story
- Pick up NAMI Washington Packets for Legislative Visits
10:45 – 3:00 PM
- Legislative Visits Begin
How to Schedule Appointments with your Legislators
- Affiliate Leaders should schedule their the appointments and reach out to those who have signed up to attend to let them know when their appointments are.
- Please attempt to schedule appointments to begin after 10:30 AM so that NAMI members can participate in the morning advocacy training activities.
- You can Find NAMI members’ legislative districts here.
- Most appointments can be scheduled via an email request, although it is often better to call the legislator’s office. If you need additional assistance contact Brad.
- Once you’ve made appointments please let Brad know your appointment times, as we do have several legislative districts which overlap between affiliates.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is any food provided throughout the day? Yes, a light continental breakfast is provided at our morning session at Temple Beth Hatfiloh. Box lunches will be available for you to take with you from our morning session. Please choose which option you would like when you register. There is also a cafeteria in the Legislative Building called the Dome Deli.
How do I get to Olympia?
Your affiliate will work to coordinate transportation to Olympia. Some affiliates set up carpools and others rent vans and buses.
Where do I park?
Parking on the street is plentiful, and FREE because February 19th is a federal holiday!
How do I get from the Temple to the Capitol Campus?
The Temple is located on the corner of 8th Ave SE and Washington St. SE, and you can either walk to the Capitol Campus as long as you have about 20 minutes, or you can take the Dash, the FREE transit, which you can pick up on Capitol Way, a short walk from the Temple. Detailed information about Dash can be found here.
Will the Temple be open all day?
No, the Temple will be open to NAMI until 11:00 AM. If you arrive after 11:00 AM, please call Brad Forbes at 206-552-0570.
I have never visited the legislature before, will I get training on our issues and etiquette?
Yes, that is going to be covered from 9:00-10:30 AM.
Is there a NAMI Washington Board Meeting?
There is no NAMI Washington board meeting as part of this year’s Lobby Day.
I want to spend the night in Olympia on Sunday and/or Monday evening(s), how do I find accommodations.
You can find a list of hotels in the Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater area here.
Please feel free to email Brad with any questions you may have about NAMI Day.
Thank you for raising your voice for mental health!
This message has been forwarded from NAMI Washington, but please contact our office at email@example.com if you have any questions! Amber or Marilyn would be happy to assist you.